It's the newest procedure, done laparoscopically, that induces weight loss by restricting food intake.
With this procedure, the surgeon removes approximately 60 to 80 percent of the stomach leaving it in a banana/sleeve shape. He separates it from the larger portion of the stomach that contains a hormone responsible for appetite. After the sleeve procedure, hunger is greatly reduced which instantly helps the patient reduce his/her needs to overeat.
This is a safe and effective way to achieve and maintain a healthier weight. It is also a viable alternative for those patients who have specific conditions that prohibit gastric bypass surgery.
The main features of this procedure are:
- Craving control and hunger reduction
- Non-malabsorptive procedure
- NO foreign objects are left in the body
- NO adjustments are needed as with Lap-band and Intragastric Balloon
- Weight loss occurs over 18 months
- Quick recovery
- 1 night stay at hospital
- Surgical time: 1 to 1 ½ hours